Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ureka! REAR SHOCKS THAT FIT AND WORK AWSOME!!!!

Ureka! REAR SHOCKS THAT FIT AND WORK AWSOME!!!!

Went through whatever I could find in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by xwiredtva;
    Monroe 5987!!!!

Valving is MUCH better. And they are the Sensa Trac so they tighten up.

WORKS BRilliantly with RRM or other lowering springs.

READ: STOCK SHOCKS with 1" drop springs ONLY HAVE 2" of UPTRAVEL!!! OUCH!

5987 are 1/2" shorter than stock. Trust me, you don't need it. SX4 wins Worlds Longest Shock award.

But they allow for 5.5" of up travel over stock shocks! That's 3" more.

Not sure what car they goto but they work AWSOME! I'll post pics later today.

My cost was $78 for the pair after 6% sales tax

Stock shock on right, Monroe fresh out of the box on left.

Fully extended lengths. As you can see the Monroe is shorter, but only a tad.

This shows the lower mount. The Monroe is thicker. Even with the RRM rear sway bar the lower shock bolt attached just fine. That bolt is never moved but if you want to throw some thread locker on it, wouldn't hurt. Those who feel the bolt will fall off unless threads show, you can take the OEM bolt to the hardware store and get a similar thread/pitch bolt that is thinner.

As of this edit I have put over 1100 miles on my car (hence the NEED for new shocks) since Saturday and I checked the bolts last night before I left for Va. TIGHT.
    '08 SX4|'88 Civic Wagovan|'95 Integra SE

More
    Quote Originally Posted by xwiredtva;
    Double Ureka!

"Monroe 5987 Volkswagen Shock Absorber $36.15
    Volkswagen Jetta 2003-2004 .Sensa-Trac Shock-Absorber, Rear, Sold Individually, Position Sensitive Dampening For Drivers Who Want Greater Handling And Increased Comfort, Groove Tube Technology For A Smoother Ride In A Wide Range Of Driving Conditions.
    Engine: 2.0L, 4 Cylinder, Gas, Fuel Injected, AVH
    Chassis: Jetta, GL, Station Wagon"

So ANY SHOCKS for a Rear 2003-2004 Jetta, DONE! Anyone willing to X-Ref this car to the part numbers for KYB, Bilstein, etc... THANKS.

STICKY MAN, STICKY THIS THREAD!

Oh, YOUR ALL WELCOME!

Now why in the HELL couldn't RRM, our beloved aftermarket Suzuki shop not find this info out? And WHY the hell didn't they figure out the RRM Springs (not made by them BTW) will NOT work without different shocks... Get off your azzes boys and get to work.

EDIT: Whatever shock part#'s you guys find I'm going to add them to THIS post, K. If I make an error, PM me. And can the Wiki guys copy this info end of the week. We should have all the part numbers by then. Also make note of the 2003-2004 Jetta Sedan 2.0L being the compatible Rear shock application.

One note about installation. These Monro's did NOT come with a lower washer for the upper mount (read again). So you need a 3/8" Fender washer or a shock washer. The stock one will not come off. I had some SS Fender washers here so I used them. Also I flipped the rubber bushing on the top of the top mount (inside the trunk) from convex to concave and reused the stock bolt since it was in the trunk already with me. Just made it easier to start threading. Once it's squished and taught stop wrenching on it.

Rear shock part numbers:
    Monroe: 5987 (CONFIRMED : Note: 3/8" Fender Washer needed to replace factory washer on the Bottom of the TOP MOUNT)
    KYB: 343280
    Gabriel: 69450
    Bilstein: F4-BNE-2942-BG
    Koni (Sport - Yellow): 80 2761Sport (Adjustible Shock)

Aus/Oz Owners:
    pedders 8189 (CONFIRMED) : Install Note (suxsx041 member): The only fitting problem i had was that i had to use the existing top steel bush and trim 1/4" off it and also used the existing rubber bushes all in all it took me about 1 hour

A question asking for clarification: These work with a 1" lowered SX4. Do they work with a stock SX4 (non-lowered)?
    '08 Suzuki SX4 Crossover, Copper, MT AWD Touring - front/rear corner molding, front/rear mudflaps, narrow side molding, rear bumper protector, hood protector, window visors, clarion ipod adapter, auto dimming mirror, armrest, security system, Subaru rear wiper, rear 12v, 3M window tint 35% front 20% rear

Quote Originally Posted by Audiopudding View Post
    A question asking for clarification: These work with a 1" lowered SX4. Do they work with a stock SX4 (non-lowered)?
    I'll look through the thread once again and post it here. I know there was one person who put them in their lifted SX4 too.

I made this post a sticky because it was super popular and a great resource for many on the forum.
    I am the Angel of Death for Automotive companies in the US, I have owned a Saturn and a Suzuki.

It is
    legitimate to compare my Suzuki SX4 to a Ferrari; Italian Designed, Superb engineering, and she burnt to the ground in a blaze of oil and carbon fiber glory.

Does anyone with access to Suzuki part numbers know if they put different rear shocks in the 2010 awd? When I bought, the sales guy told me the car had "European Tuned Suspension" and the car does seem to have a firm but not harsh ride! Maybe cause I dont have big miles on it yet, but I'm happy with the stock ones. 2010 SX4 awd 6 speed mt.

I put the Monroe (the ones for the toyota Echo) on my stock hight suzi about a month ago. The car feels like it is planted better then it did w/the stockers, they are a little noiser over larger bumps but not much more than the stock. The install was simple, did it in an hour with jack and stands in the parking lot of my apt. I got them for Rockauto $60.55 for both rear shipped.(google a coupon code they always have one)
    Last edited by 07suzukisx4; November 30th, 2010 at 03:57 AM.
    AWD Sunlight Copper 5spd
    K&N Apollo intake, Front/Rear Sway bars
    Eibach Pro Kit, Monroe rear shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 07suzukisx4 View Post
    I put the Monroe (the ones for the toyota Echo) on my stock hight suzi about a month ago. The car feels like it is planted better then it did w/the stockers, they are a little noiser over larger bumps but not much more than the stock. The install was simple, did it in an hour with jack and stands in the parking lot of my apt. I got them for Rockauto $60.55 for both rear shipped.(google a coupon code they always have one)
    Thanks for the feedback 07suzukisx4.

I'll be picking up some today.

I used a promo code I found online and got $20 off. I paid a total of 58.43 total w/tax

Question for everyone out there.

Do I use the lower rubber bushing from the stock shock? Is that the bumpstop?